Rumanoff’s Fine Jewelry & Design was established in 1994 by Michael and Steven Rumanoff and features over 1,800 square feet of showroom, a custom design and repair shop adjacent to the showroom floor, computerized engraving, and a friendly and helpful staff that prides themselves on providing the best in customer service, quality and price.
The company evolved from the J. A. Silver Company, which operated out of New Haven, Connecticut and was the largest full line distributor of jewelry and gifts in the northeast from 1938 to 1994.
Michael and Steven’s father, Eli, began working for his uncle, Jack Silver, in 1938 and eventually became sole owner.
After earning a business management degree from Adelphi University in 1975, Michael became involved with the business, and was later joined by his brother Steven in 1989, at which time J. A. Silver Company relocated to southern Hamden’s industrial park.
In 1994, the Rumanoff family decided to expand their horizons by opening up their business to the public and moving to their current location on Whitney Avenue in the northern end of Hamden. The new corporation was called J. A. Silver II with the retail part of the business eventually becoming Rumanoff’s Fine Jewelry & Design in memory of Eli Rumanoff who passed away in July of 1998.
After graduating from the University of Connecticut, Douglas Rumanoff joined the company in September 2003, thus becoming the fourth generation of the Rumanoff family to become involved in their jewelry business.